Monday, March 16, 2015

THREE IN A ROW GARY BRUNOTTE CAROLYN MITCHELL

WELL ALRIGHT THEN!  I was able to make it 3 for 3 yesterday by enjoying brunch at
BEYU Caffe,  Gary Brunotte was doing his usual great job on keyboards and played a bunch of tunes by one of my many longtime favorites ("Six Pieces Of Silver" 1957 release), Horace Silver -  "Song For My Father" and "Peace" to mention a couple.  Gary was helping my friend Isaac McGraw and I celebrate 41 years of friendship and 40 years (as of March 11th) since we joined Omega Psi Phi together right here in Durham in the "Star-Studded"  Beta Phi chapter.  We had the pleasure of Isaac's lovely lady, Shirley joining in our celebration.  Good friends and good jazz!  It turns out there was an extra added attraction.  Carolyn Mitchell was in the house and treated us to performance of some tunes off of her current (2014) release "Inner Smile".  My favorite of the day from her was "God Bless The Child".  If you like Billie, Dinah,  and Nancy, you 'll enjoy Carolyn Mitchell.  You can find the album on iTunes, etc.  Keep an eye out for her appearing in some of our local jazz spots. I had a great three in a row.  Thank you folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment