Friday, June 12, 2015

AASIM ERNEST KOBIE

What a great thing to have WNCU here in Durham.  I was listening to the Morning Jazz show with Aasim today.  He played a cut that had some fantastic keyboard stuff going on.  I missed who it was, but called and Aasim told me the cut was Brand New Day from an album of the same name by Brian Horton.  This was a new discovery for me.  Aasim let me know that Brian Horton was the leader and reed man.  Shortly after our phonecon he played another cut from the album and announced that the piano player was Ernest Turner and that Kobie Watkins was on drums.  The bass player is Ameen Saleem.  I'm not familiar with Brian or Ameen, but Ernest and Kobie are two of my "usual suspects". I go to hear them lay down some great sounds every chance I get.  Thanks to WNCU and it's great staff I've now got more new jazz to enjoy via Ernest, Kobie, Ameen, and Brian.  To quote Aasim "A Good Friday To You".  It certainly has started out as a good one for me.  Thank you folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment